Military Personnel

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Settlement

Some military members whose homes were foreclosed in violation of the Act may have a check for over $116,000 coming as a result of the $25 billion settlement between certain banks and state attorneys general. 
Full information regarding the settlement is available at:

Military Activation

If you are a Reservist or a member of the National Guard that has recently been activated/mobilized, please see the Office of Child Support Enforcement for important information regarding a number of child support issues which may arise as a result of your activation. Also, you may be entitled to certain other benefits as pertains to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). See below.

Operation Enduring Freedom - Review and Adjustment Requests

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act - Restrictions on Interest

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) is a federal law that offers certain benefits to a parent who has recently been called to active duty as a result of the War on Terrorism, the war in Iraq, or other United States action that deploys servicemembers into active military duty.
  • If your income has gone down since you were called to active military service, you may be able to have your current child support amount changed.
  • You may also receive a lower interest rate charged on any past due child support you owed before you were called to active military service.

Changes to Child Support Orders

If you were called to active military service and you are a Custodial Party or Non-custodial Parent, your local child support agency (LCSA) must allow you to request a review of your current support order. The review process may result in an upward or downward change or no change. Once the review has been completed, both parents must receive a notice.

Lower Interest Rate on Past Due Support

As a parent called to military service you may also ask for a lower interest rate on child support arrearages under the SCRA. The interest rate on unpaid child support is usually ten percent in California. However, as a servicemember you may request the LCSA to lower the interest rate from ten percent down to six percent charged on past due support that was owed before the date you entered into active duty military service.

Your request for a lower interest rate must be in writing and say that you are making this request because of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. You must also provide documentation of active duty status and provide the date when active duty began.
To request a change to your child support order or a lower interest rate on past due support as allowed in the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, contact your local child support agency at:

Contra Costa County
Department of Child Support Services
50 Douglas Drive, Suite 100
Martinez, California 94553-8507
Street Map
Phone: (866) 901-3212
Fax: (925) 335-3636